Snowbird? Looking for a conservative church home?
If you’re planning to spend your Winters in the Tampa metro area, here’s a few things about our congregation and surrounding community you may want to know:
- We provide no financial support to human institutions but encourage our members to do so as they are able.
- We’re small (about 20 permanent members)– but we’re spiritually strong.
- Our membership is made up of families who are still in the work force as well as retirees.
- Our building is centrally located on a major thoroughfare.
- Some of our “permanent” members are former snowbirds who moved here to stay.
- If you come down to work with us in the Winter, don’t be surprised if we put you to work!
- We meet Sunday mornings for Bible study and worship (9:30 & 10:30 am), and Wednesday evenings at 7 pm for study and worship.
…and about Spring Hill and Hernando County, Florida:
- Spring Hill, Florida (population 98,000) is about 45 minutes north of Tampa in Hernando County. It is a northern suburb of Tampa and has a decidedly suburban flavor. There is another conservative church close by in Brooksville.
- Most of our members live in Spring Hill or Brooksville and have a 10-15 minute drive to our building.
- Because of the major 2008 recession (which hit Florida first!) the cost of housing here is very reasonable. If you have an RV, there are plentiful sites with connections close by. Websites such as Zillow are good sources of information about housing and rentals. Property taxes in Hernando County are lower than the national average.
- There is no state income tax; Florida sales tax is 6%, and Hernando adds another 0.5%, making Hernando County one of the lowest sales tax counties in Florida. Food, prescription drugs & non-prescription drugs are exempt from Florida sales tax.
- The cost of living in Hernando County is about 7% below the US average.
- Healthcare is excellent. There are three accredited hospitals close by: Spring Hill Regional Hospital, Oak Hill Hospital and the newest, Brooksville Regional Hospital. There are board-certified physicians right here in the county.
- Fishing (salt and fresh water), golfing, shopping, crafts, nationally-recognized (and relatively flat!) biking and walking trails are all here in Hernando County. Disney World is only an hour and a half away; Tampa has Bush Gardens and many other attractions. Crystal River (manatees!) is close by, as are many other sights and attractions such as beaches and museums.
- Average Winter high temperatures are 70° & 73° in January and February. Average lows (same months) are 45° and 48°.